Friday, December 17, 2010

Funky Fridays: You are a firework. Boom!

The number one song of the week is "Firework." This is probably one of the better Katy "I Kissed a Girl" Perry songs, nowhere near as annoying or misspelled as California Gurls. The thing is the video. It basically involves people coming out of their shell to do stuff, and then suddenly they have fireworks spouting from their chests. The video features:

1. A 10-12 year old boy who, with his sister, sits on the side of the room while their parents fight. When his sister claps her hands over her ears and starts crying, the boy gets all sparkler-fied and intervenes, telling his dad to stop. I can only assume his dad took one look at the sparks and ran.

2. A chubby girl who sits on the sidelines while all of her skinny friends are having a massive pool party. Eventually she strips down and does a cannonball (because, y'know, she's fat) into the water, popping up with a big smile and multicolored lights that somehow didn't get put out.

3. A magician kid who gets basically mugged on the sidewalk, but the muggers can't get anything but neverending handkerchiefs and doves. Suddenly he starts doing magic tricks to amuse his assailants. Too bad he wasn't a hypnotist so he could make them all think they're chickens, and run away. Nope, he's stuck entertaining the thugs with his street magic and his exploding chest.

4. A wallflower boy at a club who stares longingly across the room. Eventually he gets up the guts to make his way over and kiss some random guy who I guess he had a crush on. My thoughts on the matter: Let's say I'm random guy. A boy walks up to me and he's on fire, says nothing and then kisses me. I don't think I'd smile. I think I'd run the heck away.

The weirdest part of the video is Cancer Kid. I can't figure out the point of this bald child who wanders around the hospital, creepily watching a fireworked mom give birth to a bottle rocket. I get that the other people in the video had to become more confident and do something. What did Cancer Kid do? Surely the fireworks didn't beat cancer?

So there ya have it. Our first Funky Friday and I'm thinking it's time to go boom boom pow.


2 comments:

  1. I want more! Your poor sister is lost in her pop culture 2010!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Keep 'em coming! I think I might do better on furlough next time if you keep me up to date like this. ;)

    ReplyDelete